COVID-19: I Didn’t Promise To Send N5,000 To All Nigerians, Obasanjo Clears Air

0

Nigerian have been warned to be wary of fraudsters who might use the names of highly placed individuals to defraud them, especially during the current federal government ordered lockdown to curtail the spread of COVID-19.

This is as former Nigeria’s President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has denied the news making the rounds that he had already sent N5,000 to all Nigerians through their BVN due to the hardship in country as a result of the outbreak of COVID-19.

INDEPENDENT learnt that a television station had on Tuesday afternoon reported that Obasanjo was alleged to have said; “I woke up this morning and decided to go walking around. I started shedding tears when I saw how hungry people were and I asked my manager to have N5,000 credited to the account of Nigerians.”

ALSO READ:  NAFDAC blacklists Indian firm, delists Lagos pharmaceutical company

But in a swift reaction, the former Nigeria president through his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, said he did not make such promise and told Nigerians to beware of fraudsters who want to capitalize on such fake news to dupe innocent Nigerians.  

ALSO READ:  “I apologize for every action and inaction.” — Governor Sanwo-Olu apologies for yesterday’s gun attack at the Lekki tollgate #EndSARS protest

It could be recalled that the former President Olusegun Obasanjo was among those who had made efforts in helping out early this month when he donated one of his houses in Ogun State to the Federal Government as an isolation centre.

Many prominent Nigerians have also contributed financially, by providing palliatives to the downtrodden to help curb the hardship associated through the lockdown in curbing the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.